Sure, everyone loves a tasty Angel Food Cake, but this one has been specifically repurposed to the sunny summer months. The lemon twist gives this super spongy cake a light, citrus lift that pairs particularly well with the sweet peaches and fresh strawberries.
For another summer post dinner option, check out this Cherry Tart Recipe with Almonds if you want something a bit more sumptuous.
Summer Angel Food Cake Recipe with Peaches and Strawberries
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Serves 8 mini cakes
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. organic lemon extract
- 6-8 4 oz. aluminum cups or muffin tins
- 4 yellow peaches, ripe but firm, cut into wedges
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp rum or orange liqueur (optional)
- whipped cream
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine 6 tablespoons sugar, salt, and cake flour.
- Set aside.
- Using a mixer, whip egg whites, lemon juice and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Slowly add ½ cup of sugar and whip until you achieve medium peaks.
- Stir in lemon extract.
- Slowly sift a third of the flour mixture over the egg whites.
- Using a rubber spatula fold in gently.
- Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.
- Carefully spoon in batter into ungreased aluminum cups.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until puffed and light golden brown, and firm to the touch.
- Cool upside down on a cooling rack for 30 minutes before removing from cups.
- Cakes need to stick to the sides and bottom of tin to prevent from shrinking.
- When cake is completely cool it should slightly move away from sides of the tins.
*An easy way to remove the cake from the tin is to cut a small slice in the foil, then tear away from cake.
- Meanwhile, combine peaches, strawberries, salt, sugar, and rum.
- Set aside.
Serve angel cakes in platters or dessert plates with whipped cream and macerated peaches and strawberries.