Well if you’re tired of baking chocolate chip cookies for dessert then this recipe for Moroccan Amlou Dip will certainly shake things up.
What is it exactly? Think of it as a pesto for desserts. Almonds, honey and argan oil are blended up and served as an exotic dessert dipping sauce that pairs particularly well with Baghrir (Moroccan Crepes) and makes a nice substitute for jam, honey or apple butter on your morning biscuits.
- Warm the honey (our fav is Apicoltura Floriano Turco Chestnut Honey), sugar, salt and lemon juice to combine.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds into a fine flour.
- Slowly add the argan oil (we use this Huilerie Beaujolaise Virgin Argan Oil) in a thin steady stream. It will make a peanut butter-like consistency.
- Add the honey mixture and continue to blend until well combined.
- Taste and adjust salt if necessary.
This is a great alternative to peanut butter but it is significantly sweeter. It’s also quite runny so you can use it drizzled over ice cream or on top of biscuits. Traditionally it is served with Baghrir Moroccan Crepes. We served it with our own Sweet Crepes!