Things in jars are just more fun. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
Proof: Snakes. When they come from the desert, jungle or terrarium… not so much fun. When they come in a jar, they’re spring loaded and general scare the crap out of your Junior High Principal. Hurray! How about Jelly Beans? Who ever won a free gift certificate to Macys by guessing how many Jelly Beans were in a bag? Nobody, that’s who. And what about fireflies? Did anybody ever hear a little boy running around trying to catch fireflies in a tupperware? Didn’t think so.
These mini Olive Oil Cakes with Strawberries and Mascarpone are perfect for parties, baby showers and BBQs. Just make them beforehand, cap them and hand them out individually come time for dessert.
ps- If you’re really into the individual dessert thing give this Tart Recipe with Vanilla Pastry Cream, Berries and Kiwi a shot.
Olive Oil Cake with Champagne Marinated Strawberries and Mascarpone
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup champagne or prosecco
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 to 2 Tbsp rose syrup (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone
You will need:
8 8oz canning jars with lids
Pre-heat oven at 300 degrees F.
Grease or spray muffin tin, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine and sift flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix together olive oil, buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
- Whisk wet ingredients into the dry until it forms a smooth batter.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin about ¾ of the way and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Combine strawberries, champagne, sugar and vanilla then refrigerate.
- When cakes have cooled, slice each cake horizontally into two layers.
- Place bottom layer in the jar then some strawberries and mascarpone, repeat and cover.
Cakes can be served warm or chilled on a plate too.